Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Making Cake Donuts with a Gadget *gasp!*

I like making things by hand. Well, not technically by hand...I can't live without my KitchenAid...but more or less I like to put in my personal touch. I think bread makers and cake mixes take all the fun out of it. If you're looking for convenience, well, it's much more convenient to buy and sometimes cheaper too. But when I wrecked my brain trying to come up with a third item for the church coffee hour--besides lemon bars and white bean brownies--I suddenly remembered this little gadget my mom gave me for Christmas.


The batter is a simple one, like a pancake batter.


Basic Donut Recipe
Makes 21 mini donuts

1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
4 tbsp cooking oil

Preheat Bella Mini Donut Maker. Stir flour, sugar, and baking powder together in a large bowl. Whisk egg, milk, and vanilla in a small bowl. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Beat with an electric mix for one minute on low. Add oil and beat one more minute. Pour one tablespoon of batter in each well. Close the lid for three minutes. Remove from Donut Maker and place on paper towels. Dip mini donuts in anything you like!


I dipped them in chocolate (1/2 cup melted chocolate mixed with 1 1/2 tablespoons of milk), sugar glaze (1/2 cup powdered sugar with 3-4 tablespoons of milk), and powdered sugar.






It was really a lot of fun and an easy way to make a lot of tasty snacks at once. Plus homemade mini donuts are kind of unusual so it was kind of treat at coffee hour. I don't usually make food for a large crowd, but if I were to do it again, mini donuts would for sure make the menu!

No comments:

Post a Comment